A complete change log exists on RoutineHub.
Your detected language now shows up at the top of the languages menu! Why should you need to scroll?
Efficiency update. TranslateKit has been reduced by 31 actions.
Speed tests on an average connection:
- Languages selection menu loads in 1s
- Average cached localization loads in 2s
Various bug fixes and issues fixed between 2.0 and this update
Special thanks to @lakejason for their help with testing and corrections to language translations, specifically with the Simplified Chinese localization.
Important: If you experience issues after downloading this update, run TranslateKit and select the new 'Reset TranslateKit' option. Doesn't work for some reason? Delete the folder 'translatekit' in iCloud Drive > Shortcuts.
Quick updates and fixes
- Various translations and language names have been corrected.
- Proper offline support, as in, returns the original text back immediately, no extra actions.
- TranslateKit has turned to the dark side; it’s set color is now a darker orange.
- Something not working properly? You can now reset TranslateKit in the first menu. Keep in mind this will completely clear all language selections for shortcuts in your library that support TranslateKit.
- Introducing translatekit.com! Developer resources, read the full details on updates and more coming soon.
- TranslateKit menus and dialogues will now be in your system language, no configuration needed! This will fix crashes on devices where the system language is not English.
- The language menu may look the same, but it has been remade behind the scenes from the ground up to support multiple system languages. To do this, it uses localizations that were generated using TranslateKit! Because these localizations are stored in iCloud, this change will not compromise the efficiency of loading the languages menu after the first run and will be loaded as fast as any standard localization.
- Squashed conversion bugs with the 'url' key.
- Removed the ‘from’ and ‘lang’ keys since they don’t account for localizations (apologies for any issues removing the lang key might of cause).
- Manage selections menu now shows selected language and number of cached translations.
- Introducing the ‘url’ key. Input an iCloud file URL such as ‘your_shortcut/localization.json’. Method for inputting JSON from a url instead of a dictionary value. For now, this only supports JSON files your shortcut has saved to iCloud.
- Added a back button to the clear selection menu .
Thanks to @ROP, @Ashortcuts, and @MikeBeas on the RoutineHub discord for their suggestions and help with this update.
- TranslateKit now supports itself! It now uses its own feature of translation to translate its internal menus and alerts (when it's run on its own and not inside of a shortcut). This wasn't implemented sooner because of the previous action structure (fixed in 1.2) where TranslateKit seemed to get stuck in a loop with itself.
- Running TranslateKit with no text, just your shortcut's name and ID will now return the language the user has selected, even if it's not the first run.
- Improvements to instruction comments and more examples added to the example shortcut. Example shortcut will now be downloaded from RoutineHub instead of an iCloud link and exists on my profile.
- NEW! The low res pixelated flags in the language selection menu have been swapped out for nice crisp emoji flags!
- Additionally, some flags and language name translations have been corrected or more flags became available because of the wider selection of flags in emojis.
Cache and Load Time
Note: Your shortcut may run slowly at first for some users because new cache needs to be established and translations have been reorganized. After that, TranslateKit shouldn't slow your shortcut down as much as it did before if at all.
- Dictionary caching has been fully implemented and should make your shortcut much faster.
- Changes how individual translations are cached, things may run slow at first because of this, but you don’t need to change anything about your shortcut.
- Attempts at reducing load time TranslateKit might add at the start of your shortcut (for shortcuts that have already been translated and cached).
- Introducing the ‘progress’ key: Does it take a bit to translate your shortcut for the first time? Add a boolean with ‘progress’ set ‘True’ to have TranslateKit let your users know beforehand that the shortcut is being translated and it might take a moment. Mainly so they don’t think it’s your shortcut that's taking a while, it’s one of your dependencies. The progress message will, of course, be translated into their selected language.
- ‘json’ key has been removed and is no longer supported. There was a misunderstanding about the need for this. The returned dictionary also doubles as JSON so this key is now obsolete. Shortcuts using this key should not be affected but should remove support for this key.
- Most of the shortcut has been reorganized to better prioritize efficiency.
- Fixes a bug where the shortcut would make multiple translation.json files.
- Now requires Shortcut name and ID.
- Fixes Cantonese selection; Microsoft somehow appended the option with (Traditional) You may need to clear the selection for any shortcuts where you selected Cantonese. Disclaimer: Those shortcuts will still output their original text just not translated to Cantonese until reselected.
- Fixes a bug where if language selection was canceled, files would still be created, and if language selection was prompted again it would try to create those same files causing duplicates.
- Clarification that the Bosnian that’s translated is Latin based, and that the Cantonese is traditional.
- File names are now by dictionary keys since values could be very long, dunno why I did that in the first place.
- If you translate by dictionary, it is now stored in your shortcuts folder in the /translatekit/ folder as translation.json. This will be used in the future to improve translation speed.
- Example shortcut includes example on how to check if user has TranslateKit added to their library.
- New language menu with flags and complete language name translations
- Fixed a bug with clearing language selection in example shortcut
- Just returns back text if original text is in the selected language
- Language selection bug fixes
- Clear language selection for any shortcut even if it doesn't have it built in.
- New languages menu w/ translation
- Escaped quotes bug fix (Thanks to Mike Beasley)
- Various other improvements